Monrovia Reads' mission is to create and support an environment where reading is valued and resources are provided in order that all community members know how to read and do read. More...
Read Across Monrovia
- Read-ins are held in March and October between 8:00 AM and 9:00 AM at all the local public elementary schools in Monrovia.
- Community leaders, business people and volunteers share favorite works form literature with the students.
New Book Distribution
- A program of regular distribution of new books to families with children in poverty or lower socioeconomic status
- Twice yearly the clients of the Unity Center (Back-to-School and Christmas Events) receive new books because many of these homes have little or no reading material.
- Books are distributed to all participants at the Community Services Spring Egg Hunt and at other community gatherings when it seems appropriate.
- Books are provided to parents in parent education classes that encourage family reading at home and as incentives to school age students to increase their recreational reading.
Book Set Mini-Grants
- A program for teachers of the middle school and high school that provides class sets of selected literature books when lack of funding in the school budget prevents purchase.
- Students keep their own paperbacks for their own personal libraries.
Monrovia Reads and Plays
- City of Monrovia Mobile Literacy and Recreation programs.
- On-board collection of books for children and adults.
- Tutoring and homework help.
- Active and passive games.
- Arts and crafts.
Pro-Active Tutoring (PAT)
- Assists K-12 students at Monrovia public schools.
- Tutors are community volunteers and local college students in work-study programs.
Library Literacy Services
- One-to-one, free tutoring for adults and children
- Learners work individually with trained colunteer tutors
- Materials and on-going support are provided by the Library.
- Filmed group story time, introducing exciting reading themes and challenging concepts to young readers.
- Presented by Dollmakers/Kattywompus & shown on KGEM.
You can help. Here's how...